Endocrine Update 2023
This course offers Live (in-person) and Livestream (virtual) attendance options
February 20 - 24, 2023 - Fairmont Orchid - Waimea, Hawaii
Designed for endocrinologists and interested internists and surgeons, this course addresses gaps in medical knowledge and barriers in clinical practice to improve the outcomes of patients with endocrine and metabolic disorders. This program consists of lectures, small group breakout sessions, and Q&A discussions focusing on best practices, barriers to optimal patient outcomes and new approaches to the evaluation and management of complex and common endocrine disorders.
- Updates on best practices and new approaches to the evaluation and management of complex and common endocrine disorders
- Interactive case-based presentations
- Small group breakout sessions and networking opportunities
- Dedicated time for questions and discussion
- Access to course recordings for one year
NEW! Do You Need a Curbside Consult? - Accepting Submissions!
This year's course will feature a curbside consult discussion. This is an opportunity for attendees (in-person only) to present an interesting case from their practice to one of our expert faculty at the course.
- Case Eligibility - Case presented should pose a specific question for the faculty regarding the diagnostic evaluation or management of an endocrine disorder. Presentation can include 4-5 PowerPoint slides, without the use of patient information or brand name drugs. There will be a total of 15 minutes for presentation and case discussion.
- Submission - Registered attendees may submit their case through the form found in the course progress bar by January 13, 2023.
- Selection - Two intriguing cases will be selected for presentation at the course.
- Notification of Results - Submitters will be notified by January 20, 2023 if their case has been selected.
This course is designed to meet the professional needs of practicing endocrinologists, endocrine surgeons, and interested internists who care for adults with endocrine disorders.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Assess thyroid eye disease and identify the patient who would benefit from IGL- 1 receptor blockade therapy
- Choose the ideal glucose-lowering therapy for the patient with Type 2 diabetes based on mechanism of glucose lowering
- Review the optimal clinical environment to screen and confirm the presence of primary aldosteronism
- Identify the pitfalls in localizing an aldosterone-producing adenoma
- Review current literature on endocrinology of aging
- Determine best practices to individualize diagnosis and treatment of endocrine disorders in older individuals
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Seats are still available for the course, however our discounted hotel room block is full.
*Click here for alternate lodging options near the Fairmont Orchid.
If you have an existing reservation:
Manage your hotel room online or call 1-808-887-7342.
Daily Resort Fee ($15)
The daily resort fee of $30 is discounted at a rate of $15 per room per night for all attendees staying at the resort. The fee includes the following:
- Unlimited basic internet access in guest room and resort public areas
- Local, domestic, long distance, and 1-800 access calls from guest room
- Self-parking for one vehicle per room (Fairmont Gold guests receive valet parking for one vehicle per room)
- Shuttle transportation within the Mauna Lani Resort
- Snorkel equipment rental (two sets per room, one hour per day - resort use only)
- 45-minute photo shoot on Fairmont Orchid grounds with Pacific Dream Photography (subject to space availability)
- 10% discount on published pricing for Hawai'i Loa Lu'au
- Hawaiian Crafts & Culture
- 10$ discount on Keiki Aloha Full Day Adventure
- Selected Hui Holokai Activities (subject to change based on time and day) including hula lessons, petroglyph hikes, turtle talk session, ti leaf lei maiking, 'ukulele lessons, introduction to Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Paddling and coconut palm frond weaving
- Stargazing sessions offering personal guided tour of constellations (weekly)
- Exclusive storytelling sessions at Coconut Grove sharing legends and lore unique to the island of Hawaii (weekly)
All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant. Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development is not responsible for expenses incurred by an individual who is not confirmed and for whom space is not available at the meeting. Costs incurred by the registration such as airline or hotel fees or penalties are the responsibility of the registrant.
As the Mauna Loa eruption is located at a distance from Fairmont Orchid (approximately 60 miles away), it does not pose a threat to the resort. Additionally at this time, lava is not flowing towards populated areas and does not pose a threat to communities. There is no reason at this time for travelers to change or alter their leisure or business plans. It’s business as usual on property and all amenities and services are available. As such, our cancelation policy will remain in place.
For real time updates, please visit: www.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo.
The safety and security of our guests and colleagues are top priorities at Fairmont Orchid.
- Hawaiʻi Volcano Observatory confirms the eruption began at about 11:30pm Sunday (11.27). Officials say that as of this morning (11.28), the lava flow has now migrated to a rift zone on the northeast flank.
- Air Access: All flights into Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole (KOA) are operating normally.
- Accommodations and Activities: All accommodations, activities, and attractions on the island are also operating normally. Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park has closed the Maunaloa summit until further notice.
- Air Quality: There is currently no ashfall. For the latest air quality updates, please visit: www.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo.
- Viewing: There is currently no sanctioned area to view the Maunaloa eruption. For the best viewing experience, we advise that guests contact our partners (Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, Paradise Helicopters, etc.) to see an aerial view.
Please rest assured that we are monitoring the situation closely and continue to follow protocols of the Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency and our own safety officials to ensure that guest and colleague safety remains a top priority
For more information, please click here
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this other activity (live and livestream) for a maximum of 22.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 16.00 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Other Healthcare Professionals:
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 16.00 ABIM
- 22.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 22.75 Attendance
The Endocrine Update 2023 course is pleased to offer the opportunity for commercial companies to interact with health care providers and highlight their products and services. If you are interested in exhibiting at this course, please complete the following:
- Review the Exhibitor Prospectus
- Create an account/profile (or log-in) if you already have one
- Complete the Exhibitor Agreement Form.
Contact us for additional information.