Care of the Older Adult 2022
This conference has concluded. 2023 conference information is available here.
August 4- 6, 2022 - Lowes Minneapolis Hotel - Minneapolis, Minnesota
This conference has concluded. 2023 conference information is available here.
The Mayo Clinic Division of Community Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, and Palliative Care is pleased to offer this program to provide family practitioners, internists, general practitioners, advanced nurse practitioners and physician assistants with current information on the care of older adults, including clinical evaluation, management strategies and innovative practice models.
This broadly applicable CME conference will enhance attendee knowledge and skills in caring for older adults by providing:
- The latest, evidence-based approaches to common issues in geriatric medicine, including but not limited to: falls, dementia, frailty, chronic pain, end-of-life care, and CVD prevention
- Practical tips for managing elderly patients across the healthcare continuum (ambulatory, inpatient, homebound, post-acute and long-term care)
- The opportunity to build assessment and procedural skills commonly utilized in geriatric patient populations
Information about the 2023 Care of the Older Adult conference can be found here.
Course brochure (PDF)
Family practitioners, internists, general practitioners, advanced nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Manage the neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia non-pharmacologically
- Identify frailty in day-to-day practice and use it to inform clinical decisions
- Optimize fall prevention in older adults
- Effectively and safely manage chronic pain in long-term care residents
- Provide perioperative management for older adults undergoing surgical procedures
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Afternoon Breakout Sessions
Optional, concurrent, additional fee to attend. Lunch is provided for those enrolled in an afternoon session.
Thursday, August 4, 2:00 - 3:30 (Select one)
Addressing Goals of Care in Older Adults with Dementia
Ashley K. Kimeu, APRN, C.N.P., Natalie F. Mohammad, APRN, C.N.P., Daniel E. Sanchez Pellecer, M.D.
- Describe barriers to effective end of life communication with patients with dementia
- Describe the evidence-based benefits of early goals of care conversations for patients and families
- Review tools and tips for a successful goals of care conversations
- Serious Illness Conversation Guide
- Use tools to carry a successful goals of care conversation with family members of patients with dementia
Wound Care in Older Adults – Tips and Tricks
Peggy V. Dunton, APRN, C.N.P., Megan D. Herbers, APRN, C.N.P., D.N.P., Faye A. Otis, APRN, C.N.P., M.S.N.
This workshop will provide the learner with an opportunity to evaluate/manage chronic wounds and wound related complications with a focus on refining skills for bedside debridement, understanding the rationale behind wound dressing selection, and strategies to optimize wound healing success.
- Develop an understanding of basic pathophysiology and barriers to healing of commonly encountered wounds in geriatric clients.
- Develop an understanding of the creation of a comprehensive treatment plan including adjunctive modalities for wound healing.
- Patient care and procedural skills: Increase competency in performing safe and effective wound debridement utilizing resources available in community based and long-term care settings.
Friday August 5, 2:00 - 3:30 (Select one)
Common Procedures in Older Adults – A Crash Course
David N. Brennan, M.D., Terin T. Sytsma, M.D.
- Identify common joint injection / aspiration techniques used in older adult populations.
- Discuss indications and techniques for common dermatologic procedures.
- Briefly review high yield nail and ENT procedures.
The Ins and Outs of Homebound Care – What the PCP Needs to Know
Heidi A. Eisenman, APRN, C.N.P., M.S.N., Natalie F. Mohammad, APRN, C.N.P.
This workshop will help the learner understand how to safely and effectively care for the frail, homebound older adult.
- Review demographics of the homebound population and risk factors for adverse events
- Discuss ways to promote safety and optimize function in the setting of recent health events, transition of care or progressive debility
- Identify the vulnerable adult and verbalize when and how to involve adult protective services
- Review strategies for contingency planning to reduce risk of emergency room visits & hospitalizations by prioritizing chronic health conditions
- Discuss Office Visit Tips for the PCP
- Home visit 101: Pearls for providers who have the capacity to go into the home
Guest rooms have been reserved for attendees and their guests with special course rates (starting at $189/night plus tax) at the Loews Minneapolis Hotel. In order to receive the special rate, reservations must be made before the room block is filled or before the expiration date of July 10, 2022, whichever comes first. Reservations will be taken following this date based on space and rate availability. Group rates apply three days prior to and three days after the course dates, based on availability.
Reservations can be made by calling 1-877-878-5670 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting a room in the Mayo Clinic Care of the Older Adult block.
All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
Welcome to Minneapolis
Discover our Neighborhood
It’s an obvious claim – but true – to say that in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, you get two cities worth of fun for the price of one. Even if you’re here on business, you’re bound to enjoy some of the region’s highlights, whether it’s tax-free shopping, world-class theater, or our endless options for outdoor adventure.
With Target Field just 1500 feet away, it's a quick walk to watch baseball in a gorgeous open-air stadium in the heart of downtown Minneapolis.
Our music and arts scene is not to be missed and we offer a wealth of museums, restaurants, and shopping opportunities. Welcome to the heart of it all! We hope you love Minnesota as much as we do.
Visit our Loews Hotels Blog for more Minneapolis Itinerary Ideas.
Key Area Attractions
- Spoonbridge and Cherry
- Stone Arch Bridge
- Lake Calhoun
- Mary Tyler Moore Statue
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Weisman Art Museum
- American Swedish Institute
- Mill City Museum
- Bell Museum of Natural History
- Target Center and Target Field
While in Minneapolis
Enjoy a Minnesota Twins baseball game at Target Field, a 5-minute walk from the Loews Hotel.
Wednesday, August 3 @ 12:10 p.m. vs. Detroit Tigers
Thursday, August 4 @ 6:40 p.m. vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Friday, August 5 @ 7:10 p.m. vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Saturday, August 6 @ 6:10 p.m. vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Tickets are available through the mlb.com website.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
American Medical Association
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this other activity (live and livestream) for a maximum of 17.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
|General Session (Live or Livestream)||14.25|
|Workshops, August 4, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. (Choose 1)|
|Addressing Goals of Care in Older Adults with Advanced Dementia||1.50|
|Wound Care in Older Adults – Tips and Tricks||1.50|
|Workshops, August 5, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. (Choose 1)|
|Common Procedures in Older Adults – A Crash Course||1.50|
|The Ins and Outs of Homebound Care - What the PCP Needs to Know||1.50|
American Board of Internal Medicine Maintenance of Certification
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 14.25 medical knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit. Participation information will be shared with ABIM through PARS.
American Academy of Family Physicians
The AAFP has reviewed Mayo Clinic Care of the Older Adult 2022 and deemed it acceptable for up to 17.25 Live AAFP Prescribed credits. Term of Approval is from 08/04/2022 to 08/06/2022. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™ toward the AMA Physician's Recognition Award. When applying for the AMA PRA, Prescribed credit earned must be reported as Prescribed, not as Category 1.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
Some presentations will contain pharmacology content. It is the responsibility of the individual learner to determine the amount of pharmacology content.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 17.25 AAFP Prescribed
- 14.25 ABIM
- 17.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 17.25 Attendance
This course offers the unique opportunity for commercial companies to interact with healthcare providers and highlight their products and services. If you are interested in exhibiting at this course, please complete Exhibitor Documents and submit to Kathy Fuqua.
Course brochure (PDF)