New Frontiers in Bioethics & Regulation of Human Subjects Research 2020
Course Directors: Richard Sharp, Ph.D. and R. Scott Wright, M.D.
April 17 - 18, 2020 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester, Minnesota
This inaugural CME course at Mayo Clinic centers on new ethical and regulatory issues in human subjects’ research protection using real-world cases and multidisciplinary panel discussions. Topics include ethical and regulatory issues regarding the dissemination of big data and privacy issues, return of unexpected findings to patients after genetic testing, dividing line between clinical interventions and exploratory nature of VCA transplants, and "Right to Try.” This course is appropriate for participants interested in research protections and ethics, as well as healthcare providers that are involved in research and interface with research participants.
- Contemplate the distinction between clinical innovation and research intervention
- Innovative approaches to research and drug development in the 21st century
- Ethical use and consideration of big data in research
- Using shared decision making tools for consent
- Ethical issues in VCA transplants
- Artificial intelligence, transgender research issues, privacy in the big-data era, and much more
This course is designed for surgeons, clinicians, nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, research coordinators, IRB staff, hospital and clinic administrators, research participants, and others involved human subjects research protections.
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Apply updated and newly created ethical principles & research regulations to scenarios involving human subjects research.
- Contribute to a multidisciplinary team that is capable of achieving consensus on bioethical & regulatory controversies that arise in human subject research protections.
- Identify and discuss the major areas of ethical debate that exist in the gray area between clinical intervention and research investigation (eg is a Face Transplant research?)
- Analyze the ethical and legal framework behind the new "Right to Try" Act.
Attendance at this Mayo Clinic course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.
DoubleTree by Hilton
150 South Broadway
A block of rooms has been reserved for April 16, 2020 - April 19, 2020. The special room rate will be available until March 27th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 12.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals:
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s), please go here to review disclosures.
- 12.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 12.50 Attendance
|M.D., DO, Scientist||$460.00|
|Resident, Fellow, NP, PA, Allied Health Professional, Retiree||$370.00|
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Request for cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. When cancelling a registration for a course 14 days or more before the course start date, a full refund (minus a $75 administrative fee) will be issued in the same form of payment the registration was received. No refunds are granted less than 14 days before the course start date.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Online Registration.