This inaugural opioid-focused conference aims to highlight the shift in guidelines and public concern regarding the use of opioids in medical practice. This course provides the most up-to-date information regarding the appropriate indication for opioids in clinical practice. Topics cover the basics of opioids, evidence-based guidelines for opioids, medication monitoring, tapering and legal considerations. In addition, we cover a broad range of issues, including opioid addiction and difficult patient conversations, and provide guidelines to standardize your practice of opioid prescribing. Medical providers including nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, physicians, addiction experts, pharmacists and others may benefit from this multidisciplinary review and update of opioid management. This course includes lectures by experts in the field of pain medicine and opioid management, panel discussions, and question-and-answer sessions.
• Appropriate opioid monitoring
• Peri-operative use of opioids
• Management of opioid side effects
• Opioids for cancer related pain
• Physician, Scientist: $400
• NP, PA, Fellow, Resident, RN, Allied Health: $350
• Live Webcast (Physician, Scientist): $350
• Live Webcast (NP, PA, Fellow, Resident, RN, Allied Health): $300
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
• Describe the clinical evidence available in the literature supporting use of opioids.
• Identify risk factors for opioid abuse.
• Identify the morbidity and mortality risks inherent with use of prescription opioids.
• Apply working knowledge of the appropriate and safe use of prescription opioids.
Attendance at this Mayo course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 11.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This Live activity, Mayo Clinic Opioid Conference: Evidence, Clinical Considerations and Best Practice , with a beginning date of 10/22/2015, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 11.50 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course offers the unique opportunity for commercial companies to interact with health care providers and highlight their products and services. If you are interested in exhibit space during this course, please contact Linda Gochnauer