Mayo Clinic Advancements in Surgical & Medical Management of the Spine 2024
This course offers Live (in-person) and Livestream (virtual) attendance options
Course Directors: Toure Barksdale, M.D., Brett A. Freedman, M.D., Jane Konidis, M.D., Arjun S. Sebastian, M.D., Randy Shelerud, M.D.
February 25 - 29, 2024 - Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast, Hawaii
This five-day course addresses the spectrum of spine diseases via didactics, case studies, and panel discussions, whether it is secondary to trauma, deformity, or common degenerative conditions. A unique split curriculum covers strategies for both surgical spine management and nonoperative approaches, including epidemiology, clinical anatomy, biomechanics, clinical assessment, and spine imaging review. Spinal injection strategies for various common spinal conditions, safety, and efficacy are examined, as well as, post traumatic surgical management, adjacent segment disease issues, and comparison between various surgical techniques such as motion preserving and fusion. An emphasis on differential diagnosis and the global burden of spine disease is discussed and debated.
- Unique split curriculum covers strategies for both surgical spine management and nonoperative approaches, including epidemiology, clinical anatomy, biomechanics, clinical assessment, and spine imaging review.
- Evidence-based surgical and non-operative management of vertebral fragility fractures, spinal stenosis, deformity, and trauma.
- Artificial Intelligence techniques to improve spine surgical care.
- Enhancing patient care through chiropractor care, and new pain management strategies.
This course is designed for orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, neurologists, physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, primary care physicians, sports medicine specialists, pain specialists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, residents, fellows, postdocs, and medical/health professional students.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
• Assess how to prioritize the operative and non-operative treatment of spine trauma.
• Recognize the impact of osteoporosis care for surgical and non-surgical patient outcomes.
• Review how to minimize common and rare complications associated with spine surgery.
• Describe the evidence for conservative management of the low back pain patient including the use of spinal injections, opioids, rehabilitation, and complementary medicine options.
• Associate the new science of spinal muscular control and its effect on the low back pain patient.
• Describe an evidence-based approach to cervical radiculopathy and stenosis including pharmacologic, nonpharmacologic and surgical treatment options.
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Fairmont Orchid - 1 North Kaniku Drivem Kohala Coast, Hawaii 96743-9796
Guest rooms have been reserved for attendees and their guests with special course rates at the Fairmont Orchid. See below for the various rates being offered. In order to receive the special rates, reservations must be made before the room block is filled or before the expiration date of February 3, 2024, whichever comes first. After February 03, 2024, reservations will be taken based on space and rate availability. Each attendee is allowed one guest room at the special course room rate.
Fairmont Garden View - $459.00
Partial Ocean View - $499.00
Ocean View - $569.00 *based on hotel availability
There is no charge for children younger than eighteen (18) years of age sharing the same room with their parents and utilizing existing bedding. There will be an additional charge of $75.00 per night, plus tax beginning with the third adult (18 years or older) in a room. The maximum number of persons per room is four (4) adults or two (2) adults and two (2) children.
Resort Experience Fee
Please note that there is an additional charge of $30.00 per room per night plus tax that is not included in the above room rates. The following amenities are bundled into this charge:
- Overnight self-parking for one vehicle per room (Fairmont Gold guests receive valet parking for one vehicle per room)
- Unlimited basic WiFi access in guest rooms and public areas (ALL members receive an upgrade to premium speed internet access and ALL Platinum members receive $20 credit towards spa services)
- Wellness classes (please see our weekly complimentary wellness offerings at the Spa Without Walls)
- Complimentary shuttle bus service within the Mauna Lani Resort area
- Two Fairmont Orchid reusable water bottles per room, per stay, to be filled at purified water stations located throughout the resort. It’s part of our Planet 21 sustainability pledge to reduce single-use plastics and minimize our carbon footprint.
- Hawaiian Cultural Classes & Resort Activities (please see our weekly activity schedule at the Concierge)
- Lei greeting upon arrival
- Complimentary snorkel equipment rental for one hour (available to each guest, per day—resort use only). Guests who purchase Fun & Sun passes may sign out snorkel equipment multiple times per day.
- 45-minute photo session with Pacific Dream Photography (reservations required, photos available for purchase)
- Unlimited North America Long Distance Calls (Canada & America)
Experiences exclusive to our guests include the following:
- Stargazing sessions courtesy of Star Gaze Hawai‘i, which offer guests a personal guided tour of the constellation (weekly)
- Storytelling sessions which share the legends and lore unique to the Island of Hawai‘i (weekly)
- Hui Holokai Beach Club Activities (subject to change based on the time and day) including hula lessons, petroglyph hikes, turtle talk session, ti leaf lei making, ‘ukulele lessons, introduction to Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Paddling and coconut palm frond weaving
- Snorkel equipment rental (based on two sets per room, per day—resort use only)
- Special seasonal activities and resort programming (please see seasonal activity guide and resort guide)
Additional Travel Information
All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant. Mayo Clinic School of CPD is not responsible for expenses incurred by an individual who is not confirmed and for whom space is not available at the meeting. Costs incurred by the registrant such as airline or hotel fees or penalties are the responsibility of the registrant. All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
Brett A. Freedman, M.D.
Arjun S. Sebastian, M.D.
Randy A. Shelerud, M.D.
Mayo Clinic Faculty
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 26.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 26.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
In response to company inquiries, we are excited to share that the Mayo Clinic Advancements in Surgical & Medical Management of the Spine 2024 has expanded its commercial support offerings to include a variety of sponsorship opportunities! Please see the comprehensive prospectus for full details.
If you are interested in exhibiting, please complete the Letter of Agreement.
If you have additional questions, please Contact: Joe Chanhthee
Please update your profile to let us know if you have dietary restrictions or access requirements.
To claim credit for livestream participation in this course, learners must view the content during the hours posted for the live activity. This course is not approved for on-demand delivery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development (MCSCPD) strives to foster a learning environment in which individual differences are valued, allowing all to achieve their fullest potential.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
All requests must be submitted in writing using the Contact Us Form.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Registration.