Preventing Needless Work Disability: The Healthcare Provider Role Webinar
Clayton T. Cowl, M.D. and Laura E. Breeher, M.D.
Livestream (virtual) Webinar - several dates/times will be available throughout the year.
Use Coupon Code: SCH23R01823 to receive complimentary registration.
The course was developed as part of a RETAIN federal grant program. Mayo Clinic is the medical partner in the grant aimed at improving early return to work for employees when medical conditions impact their ability to work. Education to providers is meant to instruct on the devastating costs of needless work disability in the US and proven strategies to help patients stay productive and experience better outcomes when work is part of therapy.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Allied Health Professionals.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the benefits working provides to the healing patient.
- Recognize the harms of iatrogenic disability.
- Express the provider's role in encouraging independent function, including a return to work, in the treatment plan.
- Recognize the potential resources employers have to help employees return to work.
- List available resources to help write restrictions.
- Describe how safe, functional activities encourage healing.
- Use the SMERF framework to identify medically necessary restrictions.
- Describe how to frame discussions with patients to proactively and positively guide them to the stay at and return to work process using an active listening approach.
- Contrast the medical and non-medical issues that prevent a patient from returning to work.
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals:
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 Attendance
Cancellation and Refund Policy
View Cancellation and Refund Policy
All requests must be submitted in writing using the Contact Us Form.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Registration.