Orthopedic Infectious Diseases - LIVESTREAM
Course Director: Gina Suh, M.D.
May 21 - 22, 2021 - LIVESTREAM (CT)
Designed for the infectious diseases practitioner, this is Mayo Clinic's first course dedicated entirely to the challenges of managing orthopedic infections. This livestream course will feature highly interactive, case-based modules delivered by subject matter experts addressing diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. Examples include discordant MSIS criteria for prosthetic joint infections, significance of the unexpected positive intra-operative culture, and use of oral antibiotics for treatment of musculoskeletal infections. Topics are followed by case-based group discussions. Attendees will leave with up-to-date, practical information that can be applied immediately to their clinical practice.
- Mayo Clinic's first course dedicated entirely to orthopedic infections
- Geared towards increasing clinician knowledge and improving patient outcomes
- Highly interactive case-based modules
- Paired interdisciplinary discussion with infectious diseases specialists and orthopedic surgeons
|M.D., D.O., Ph.D.||$365|
|Allied Health, NP, PA, Retirees||$275|
This course is designed for infectious diseases specialists, trainees, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners with interest in managing patients with infections.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Interpret criteria in the diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection
- Formulate an appropriate treatment duration post-DAIR
- Analyze the significance of an unexpected intra-operative positive culture including Cutibacterium acnes
- Describe the treatment approach for uncommon causes of prosthetic joint infections such as fungal, mycobacterial, and difficult to culture organisms
- Apply and implement findings of the OVIVA trial
- Recognize the basics of phage therapy
- Identify the management of upper-extremity prosthetic joint infections
- Examine the management of vertebral infections
- Review the management of long-bone osteomyelitis
- Examine key surgical considerations in the management of musculoskeletal infections
- Review orthopedic infections from the surgical perspective
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 8.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM Maintenance of Certification
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 8.50 medical knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Participation information will be shared with ABIM through PARS.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 8.50 ABIM
- 8.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 8.50 Attendance
Virtual Exhibit Opportunities
This course offers the opportunity for commercial companies to showcase their latest innovations and share information on products and services with attendees and faculty in a virtual environment. If you are interested in exhibiting at this course, please contact us.