Respiratory Protection Updates and Returning Healthcare Personnel to Work After Covid-19 Infection
Jeffrey (Jeff) C. Nesbitt, CIH, supervisor of industrial hygiene at Mayo Clinic and assistant professor of preventive medicine, explains where to find guidance for respirator use during COVID-19; when to wear a respirator; and precautionary measures for healthcare providers before using reprocessed N95 masks.
Melanie D. Swift, M.D., M.P.H., a preventive medicine specialist at Mayo Clinic, reviews the Centers for Disease Control’s current guidelines for employees returning to work after COVID-19 infection and what Mayo has experienced with its test-based strategy.
See the "Program" tab to view the videos. No need to register unless you want to claim credit ($10 fee to claim 0.50 CME credit hours)
Healthcare workers of all specialties who are being impacted by COVID-19, including physicians, research scientists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and anyone with a particular interest in prevention, treatment, and patient care.
Upon completion of this activity you will be able to:
1. Explain where to find guidance for respirator use during COVID-19
2. Determine when to wear a respirator
3. Assess when to extend use or reuse a respirator
Reprocessing of N95 Respirators
1. Identify when it is appropriate to reprocess N95 respirators
2. Explain quality and performance requirements for reprocessed N95 respirators
3. Identify suitable reprocessing methods and quality indicators
4. Describe quality checks and precautionary measures that healthcare providers should take prior to use of reprocessed N95s
Returning Healthcare Personnel to Work After COVID-19 Infection
1. Describe the current CDC recommendations for releasing healthcare personnel to return to work after COVID-19 infection and their rationale.
2. Provide anticipatory guidance to COVID+ patients about returning to work.
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
|Additional Course Information and Disclosure- Nesbitt||140.62 KB|
|Additional Course Information and Disclosure- Swift||139.41 KB|
You are invited to watch the video at no cost
To Register and Claim Credit for this course (.25 hours/ $5), follow these steps:
- Select Register Now
- Complete the checkout process.
- Once you complete your registration, click the “view course page” hyperlink.
- Select the Start button, and then select Start Course button at the bottom of the screen.
- Complete the quiz, fill out the evaluation and claim credit.
- If you need additional assistance, contact us or call our toll-free number, 1-800-323-2688.
Holly M. Geyer, M.D.
Devyani Lal, M.D.
Jeffrey (Jeff) C, Nesbitt, CIH
Melanie D. Swift, M.D., M.P.H.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 0.50 Attendance
Cancellation and Refund Policy
View Cancellation and Refund Policy
All requests must be submitted in writing using the Contact Us Form.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Registration.