|Stephanie F. Heller, M.D.||Erica A. Loomis, M.D.||Kyle S. Rader, P.A.-C.||Brianna M. Skrukrud, APRN, C.N.P.||Alec J. Williams, APRN, C.N.P., D.N.P.|
August 23, 2023 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester, Minnesota
Learning Objectives: Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
Phenobarbital for Alcohol Withdrawal
- Describe the role of phenobarbital for alcohol withdrawal
Rapid Sequence Intubation Medications
- Discuss common medications used for rapid sequence intubation
- Describe considerations for therapies used to treat adverse effects associated with rapid sequence intubation medications
- Determine the preferred agent and optimal dosing of the agent that will prevent VTE in the Trauma population
- Define the currently recognized modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors that predispose for post-operative delirium
- Discuss medication management strategies to reduce risk of developing post-operative delirium
- Identify medications that may have utility in the treatment of post-operative delirium, and those that should not be used
This course is designed for advanced practice providers including physician assistants and nurse practitioners. In addition, military members, physicians, clinical nurse specialists, nurse educators and nursing staff in trauma, acute care surgery, emergency medicine, and hospital medicine may benefit from this course.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe a systematic approach to assessment and management of the trauma and acute care patients.
- Formulate an action plan based on scientific rationale, evidence-based standards of care, and practice management guidelines for trauma and acute care patients.
- Define common organ failure syndromes in the critically ill, such as respiratory failure, shock, and sepsis.
- Describe management of the pre and post-acute care surgical patients.
- Choose appropriate and timely consultation and/or referral when necessary in the trauma acute care surgery populations.
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science has been authorized by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) to award AAPA Category 1 CME credit for activities planned in accordance with AAPA CME Criteria. This activity is designated for 3.00 AAPA Category 1 CME credits. PAs should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this activity for a maximum of 3.00 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the learner to earn credit toward the CME requirement of the American Board of Surgery’s Continuous Certification program. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit learner completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABS credit.
Other Healthcare Professionals:
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 3.00 AAPA Category 1
- 3.00 ABS
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 3.00 ANCC
- 3.00 Attendance