Mayo Clinic Talks Episode 197: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Mayo Clinic Talks Podcast
Mayo Clinic Employees - no charge. Login with your Mayo Clinic email to access this offer.
Recorded March, 2019
|The topic of COPD including risk factors, evaluation and management is discussed with Dr. Lewis Wesselius, a pulmonologist in the Division of Thoracic Disease at the Mayo Clinic.|
Specific topics discussed include the following:
• Review of the various types of COPD.
• Similarities and differences between emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
• Financial complications of COPD.
• Risk factors for COPD.
• Appropriate tests to order when evaluating patients suspected of having COPD.
• Determining the severity of COPD.
• Management of patients with COPD including the role of bronchodilators, inhaled corticosteroids, antibiotics and oxygen.
• COPD and the risk of lung cancer.
Connect with the Mayo Clinic’s School of Continuous Professional Development online at https://ce.mayo.edu/ or on Twitter @MayoMedEd.
This course is intended for primary care providers: physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants
Upon completion of the Mayo Clinic Talks Podcast course, learners should be able to:
- Describe the current treatment recommendations for patients with hyperlipidemia.
- List the various categories of hypertension.
- Describe the current pharmacologic treatment available for patients with osteoporosis.
Participation in this Mayo Clinic online course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s), please go here to review disclosures.
- 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 0.25 Attendance