Mayo Clinic Course on Shoulder Tendon Transfers and Complex Rotator Cuff Repair 2019
This course will provide cutting-edge presentations, cadaver demonstrations, and cadaver-based workshops on the management of complex rotator cuff tears and conditions affecting the scapulothoracic joint. The course will highlight the principles, surgical techniques and outcomes of tendon transfers around the shoulder joint and scapula, advanced arthroscopically-assisted tendon transfers, and alternative salvage procedures such as reconstruction of the superior capsule, reverse shoulder arthroplasty and shoulder/scapulothoracic fusion. A portion of the course will allow attendees to perform tendon transfers on whole torso and upper extremity cadaveric specimens.
- Focus on shoulder tendon transfers and complex cuff reconstruction
- World-renowned national and international faculty
- Cadaver lab using a whole torso with both upper extremities
- One-on-one faculty to attendee interaction during the cadaver lab
- Sessions dedicated to interactive case discussions with our faculty
- Gala reception, including dinner, live music and dancing
General Session : April 25 - 26, 2019
Session I - Cadaver Lab & Case Studies: April 27, 2019
Session II - Cadaver Lab & Case Studies: April 27, 2019
Cadaver Lab Sessions
Due to the high demand for cadaver lab sessions and the limited number of workstations, we will include in this year’s course, two identical cadaver lab sessions. Registrants in Group A will complete their cadaver session Saturday April 27th between 7:00 and 11:00 am, and will participate in an interactive case presentation session from noon to 2:00 p.m. Registrants in Group B will participate in an interactive case presentation session Saturday April 27th between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. and will complete their cadaver session from noon to 4:00 p.m. Registration to group A or B will be based on the preference of the registrant and will be accommodated on a first-come first-served basis.
NOTE: CONTENT SAME IN BOTH LAB SESSIONS
This course is designed for orthopedic surgeons.
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- To understand the biomechanics of the rotator cuff and periscapular muscles and well as the relative biomechanical advangtages and disadvantages of various tendon transfers around to shoulder
- To reliably predict which cuff tears are irreparable and how to best select various treatment options, includinf partial repair, augmentation, superior capsular reconstruction, reverse shoulder arthroplasty, and tendon transfers.
- To learn technical pearls regarding modern tendon transfers for reconsrtruction of shoulders with an irreparable rotator cuff tear, using both open and arthroscopic tehniques, for posterosuperior tears, anterosuperior tears, or combined tears.
- To understand the value of reverse arthroplasty in the patients with massive irreparable cuff tears and the need to add tendon transfers in the same surgical setting, or to consider them after reverse if needed.
- To understand the physical examination of the scapula as well as the various tendon transfers for dysfunction of the serratus anterior, trapezius, and others.
Attendance at this Mayo Clinic course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Guest rooms have been reserved for attendees and their guests with special course rates at the following downtown Rochester hotels. In order to receive the special rate, reservations must be made before the room block is filled or before the expiration date of March 29, 2019, whichever comes first. Reservations will be taken following this date based on space and rate availability. Please identify yourself as a participant of the Mayo Clinic Shoulder course when making your reservation.
Rochester, Minnesota, is a friendly city that greets thousands of visitors from around the world each year. The city is serviced by a modern international airport with multiple flights daily. Access to and from the airport is provided by taxi, shuttle service, and rental car. The airport is located approximately 10 miles from the Mayo Clinic campus.
Note to Travelers: Several cities in the United States are named Rochester. When you make airline reservations and check your baggage, be sure that your destination is Rochester, Minnesota (RST) and that your baggage has been properly tagged.
Flying through the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) is another option. (www.mspairport.com) There are two shuttle services that provide direct service to Mayo Clinic and the surrounding area. Travel time is approximately 75 minutes.
There are two shuttle services to the Rochester area from Minneapolis/St. Paul airport.
- Groome Transportation at 800-280-9270 or visit https://groometransportation.com/rochester/
- Rochester Shuttle Service at 888-998-9098 or visit www.rochestershuttleservice.com
Mayo Clinic’s appointed travel company, Ultramar Travel, is available to assist with travel arrangements. Call Ultramar Travel toll-free at 1-866-629-6885.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 23.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
General Session Total: 17.5
Session I - Cadaver Lab 5.75
Session II – Cadaver Lab 5.75
Other Healthcare Professionals
A certificate of attendance will be provided to other healthcare professionals for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies, or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s), please go here to review disclosures.
- 23.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 23.25 Attendance
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Request for cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. When cancelling a registration for a course 14 days or more before the course start date, a full refund (minus a $75 administrative fee) will be issued in the same form of payment the registration was received. No refunds are granted less than 14 days before the course start date.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Online Registration.