Mayo Clinic Advancements in Surgical & Medical Management of the Spine 2022
This 5-day course will address the spectrum of spine diseases via didactics, case studies, and panel discussions, whether it is secondary to trauma, deformity, or common degenerative conditions. A unique split curriculum covers strategies for both surgical spine management and nonoperative approaches, including epidemiology, clinical anatomy, biomechanics, clinical assessment, and spine imaging review. Spinal injection strategies for various common spinal conditions, safety, and efficacy will be examined, as well as, post traumatic surgical management, adjacent segment disease issues, and comparison between various surgical techniques such as motion preserving and fusion. An emphasis on differential diagnosis and the global burden of spine disease will be discussed and debated. One session will be devoted to methods of pain control in patients with spinal disorders, satisfying state requirements for prescriber opioid education.
This course is designed for Orthopedic surgeons, Neurosurgeons, Neurologists, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialists, Primary Care Physicians, Sports Medicine, Pain Specialists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Residents, Fellows, Postdocs, and Medical/Health Professional Students.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Assess and prioritize the operative and non-operative treatment of spine trauma.
- Recognize the importance of osteoporosis care and impact on surgical and non-surgical patient outcomes.
- Describe the evidence for conservative management of the low back pain patient including the use of spinal injections, opioids, rehabilitation, and complementary medicine options.
- Describe an evidence-based approach to cervical radiculopathy and stenosis including pharmacologic, nonpharmacologic and surgical treatment options.
- Associate the new science of spinal muscular control and its effect on the low back pain patient.
- Review, describe and minimize common and rare complications associated with spine surgery.
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
Guest rooms have been reserved for attendees and their guests with special course rates at the Fairmont Orchid. See below for the various rates being offered. In order to receive the special rates, reservations must be made before the room block is filled or before the expiration date of January 17, 2022, whichever comes first. After January 17, 2022, reservations will be taken based on space and rate availability. Each attendee is allowed one guest room at the special course room rate.
Fairmont Garden View - $370.00
Partial Ocean View - $390.00
Ocean View - $455.00
There is no charge for children younger than eighteen (18) years of age sharing the same room with their parents and utilizing existing bedding. There will be an additional charge of $75.00 per night, plus tax beginning with the third adult (18 years or older) in a room. The maximum number of persons per room is four (4) adults or two (2) adults and two (2) children.
Please identify yourself as a participant of the Mayo Clinic Spine Course when making your reservation. Call 1-800-845-9905 to make your reservation.
The daily resort charge is reduced to $15.00 per room per night plus tax for all attendees staying at the resort and includes:
- Unlimited basic internet access in guest rooms and resort public areas
- Self-parking for one vehicle per room
- Local, domestic long distance and 1-800 access calls from your guest room
- On-demand shuttle transportation within the Mauna Lani Resort area
- Snorkel equipment rental (based on up to two sets per room, per day – resort use only)
- 10% discount on published pricing for Fairmont Orchid Luau
- Hui Holokai Activites
- Hawaiian Crafts & Culture
Lodging arrangements are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant. Mayo Clinic School of CPD is not responsible for expenses incurred by an individual who is not confirmed and for whom space is not available at the meeting. Costs incurred by the registrant such as airline or hotel fees or penalties are the responsibility of the registrant.All travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
Direction to the Fairmont Orchid
- Turn left at the stoplight exiting the Kona International Airport onto Queen Kaahumanu Highway #19.
- Remain on Highway #19 for 19.5 miles.
- The entrance to Mauna Lani Resort is located on your left of the highway.
- Enter the resort on Mauna Lani Drive and proceed for about a mile to the round-about.
- Take the first right turn / cut-off which is North Kaniku Drive.
- Stay on North Kaniku Drive until you reach the main entrance to Fairmont Orchid at the end of the drive.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this live activity for a maximum of 26.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 26.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 26.00 Attendance
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Request for cancellations must be submitted in writing to email@example.com. When cancelling a registration for a course 14 days or more before the course start date, a full refund (minus a $75 administrative fee) will be issued in the same form of payment the registration was received. No refunds are granted less than 14 days before the course start date.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Online Registration.