Mayo Clinic COVID-19: Expert Insights and Strategies - Online CME Course
Course Director, Devyani Lal, M.D.
Mayo Clinic COVID-19: Expert Insights & Strategies Online CME provides concise updates related to COVID-19 through convenient, pre-recorded webinars. This online CME course will provide learners with the latest updates and strategies to protect themselves and their communities, and to provide treatment and mitigation information to enable healthcare workers to better manage cases and mortality rates. Topics include appropriate community- and personal-level protective and mitigating efforts; therapeutics; correct usage of personal protective equipment (PPE); and discussion of special scenarios healthcare workers may face.
Welcome and Introduction from Course Director, Devyani Lal, M.D.
Education in this curriculum is classified into four categories: Inpatient Care; Outpatient Care & Practice Management; Research, Epidemiology & Infection Prevention; and Topics of Note. See the Program tab for more information on all available content.
Healthcare workers of all specialties who are being impacted by COVID-19, including physicians, research scientists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and anyone with a particular interest in prevention, treatment, and patient care.
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Describe COVID-19 clinical features, virus characteristics, disease pathogenesis, multi-systemic effects, laboratory testing, factors in increased morbidity and causes of mortality
- Identify criteria for PCR testing, antibody serology and interpretation of test
- Recommendation strategies for caregivers and providers managing patients with COVID-19 at home; tele-monitoring COVID-19 patients
- Define methods for for managing COVID-19 positive and under-investigation patients in the hospital setting
- Describe aerosol generating procedures in the hospital in outpatient and inpatient settings during the pandemic
- Identify trategies for preventing transmission in healthcare workers overall and high risk workers (emergency department physicians, anesthesiologists, respiratory therapists, pulmonologists, otolaryngologists, etc.)
- Identify strategies for prevention of transmission/mitigation in the community
- Describe investigational treatments and trials (with addition of significant results as they become available) as well as emerging strategies (e.g. prone ventilation)
- Recommend oxygenation strategies in severely sick COVID-19 patients: Mechanical ventilation, ECMO, transfusion etc.
- Apply guidance for managing special patient populations during the COVID-19 pandemic: pregnant patients, patients with acute emergencies, patients with immunodeficiency, patients undergoing cancer treatment
- Implement cross-training/retraining on COVID-19 relevant procedures (e.g. ventilator management)
- Describe guidelines on the correct use, donning and doffing for personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Implement telemedicine solutions for training and patient care
Utilization of this Mayo Clinic online (enduring materials) course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be in this course.Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.
This educational activity is supported in part by an
and is in accordance with ACCME guidelines.
The Mayo Clinic COVID-19: Expert Insights and Strategies Online CME Course brings together pre-recorded lectures and podcasts to offer a wide array of topics surrounding COVID-19. This course will continually expand to offer updated information. Please mark it as a "favorite" and check back for new and updated offerings.
COVID-19 information evolves daily. The views and perspectives shared in these resources are presented based on information available at the time of recording.
Education in this curriculum is classified into the below four categories.
Please click on a category, then see the "Program" tab within the category to select the topic/session you desire.
Devyani Lal, M.D.
Topic/session specific faculty are detailed under each course page under the Faculty tab.
In support of improving patient care, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this enduring material for a maximum of 43.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science designates this enduring material for a maximum of 16.25 ANCC contact hours. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Select presentations will contain pharmacology content as noted in the Critical Care Insights program. Identified presentations represent approximately 3.75 hours of pharmacology content.
Other Healthcare Professionals
A record of attendance will be provided to all registrants for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies or other professional associations.
For disclosure information regarding Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development accreditation review committee member(s) and staff, please go here to review disclosures.
- 8.75 AAPA Category 1
- 16.25 ACPE
- 43.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 16.25 ANCC
- 43.75 Attendance
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Request for cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. When cancelling a registration for a course 14 days or more before the course start date, a full refund (minus a $75 administrative fee) will be issued in the same form of payment the registration was received. No refunds are granted less than 14 days before the course start date.
Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Online Registration.